Backup across network using cpio

Leslie Mikesell les at chinet.chi.il.us
Thu Dec 6 09:26:35 AEST 1990

In article <5637 at uafhp.uark.edu> tn03 at uafhcx.uucp (Tn3270 access) writes:

>I personally use afio to back up four HP-UX boxes to one DAT drive.  I
>don't use cpio often enough to answer your question specifically, but
>this is the way I do it with afio:

>remsh DAThost dd if=/dev/DAT bs=1024k | afio -i -

If you change the literal "rsh" (somewhere around line 584) to whatever
works on your system, afio will internally generate the remote command
for you when it sees a device name in the form host:device, running
another copy of afio on the other system instead of dd.

If people are going to do selective restores over a network though, it
might be worth modifying the code to do the selection on the machine
with the tape drive instead of streaming the whole DAT across the net
for the local copy to discard most of it.

Les Mikesell
  les at chinet.chi.il.us