Exabyte versus DAT tape drives

Kevin D. Quitt kdq at demott.com
Sat Dec 8 16:57:38 AEST 1990

In article <26755 at dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> rw at ascutney.dartmouth.edu (Randy Witlicki) writes:
>   - Is an Exabyte or a DAT (Digital Audio Tape) system
> better (where "better" == price, robustness, availability
> of device drivers, etc.).  The present environment we will
> be dropping it into will be SUN 3s and DecStations (Ultrix).

    I look at it this way:  Exabyte (if you've ever talked to them) thinks
it's IBM, and treats its customers accordingly.  All Exabyte-based units are
made by a single company with no direct competition.

    There are a number of DAT manufacturers.  They offer a variety of
features, and are directly in competition with each other.  This gives
them an incentive to better their product, and lower its price - an
incentive that Exabyte does not have.  Competition never made a product
worse.

--
 _
Kevin D. Quitt         demott!kdq   kdq at demott.com
DeMott Electronics Co. 14707 Keswick St.   Van Nuys, CA 91405-1266
VOICE (818) 988-4975   FAX (818) 997-1190  MODEM (818) 997-4496 PEP last