Network-wide Mail Spool?

Brendan Kehoe kehoe at scotty.dccs.upenn.edu
Thu Nov 1 06:53:34 AEST 1990

In <8368 at darkstar.ucsc.edu>, haynes at ucscc.UCSC.EDU.UUCP writes:
>I guess 'secure NFS' is a way around this.

   I was told by someone at Sun that they recommend not using secure
NFS because it's too (and I quote) "unpredictable". One example of
this unpredictability is if you try to mount the /usr partition via
secure NFS on a client .. it'll tell you the portmapper's not
responding. (Cuz there's no way for it to actually get the rest of the
code cuz of the secure problem.) This was under 4.0.3; I can't say one
way or the other about 4.1. (Haven't had the impetus to try it.)
   Since I'm the only one ever becoming root on the systems on my net,
I don't have to worry about people impersonating each other. (Which is
probably a luxury.)

Brendan Kehoe | Soon: brendan at cs.widener.edu [ Oooooo, by Friday? ]
For now: kehoe at scotty.dccs.upenn.edu | Also: brendan.kehoe at cyber.widener.edu
"It's a distinctly non-trivial task to decompile a stripped, encrypted binary
 into something that can be understood." - Keith Bostic, on the Internet worm