Single site-wide uid space

Marcus J. Ranum mjr at hussar.dco.dec.com
Wed Nov 28 07:29:49 AEST 1990

> steve at arezzo.siemens.com (Steve Giovannetti) writes:
>     Has anyone come up with schemes for maintaining a single site-wide uid
>space?  I am in the process of developing one for our site.

	There's a utility called 'zap' (now something like unify_uids)
that was written at University of Maryland that is useful for doing the
mapping over to your unified user-id space once you've sorted out the
administration. It reads a map of uids, opens the superblock, and frobs
the inodes - fast, sure, and deadly - superblock death from above.

mjr.
--
	Good software will grow smaller and faster as time goes by and
the code is improved and features that proved to be less useful are