Single site-wide uid space

Chris Torek chris at mimsy.umd.edu
Wed Nov 28 15:38:12 AEST 1990

In article <1990Nov27.202949.29121 at decuac.dec.com> mjr at hussar.dco.dec.com
(Marcus J. Ranum) writes:
>There's a utility called 'zap' (now something like unify_uids)
>that was written at University of Maryland that is useful for doing the
>mapping over to your unified user-id space once you've sorted out the
>administration. It reads a map of uids, opens the superblock, and frobs
>the inodes - fast, sure, and deadly - superblock death from above.

Actually, `unify_uids' is the name of the whole package, which includes
two programs called `mp' and `zap'.  mp takes one `special' passwd file,
N `regular' passwd files, and produces N new passwd files with unified
uids and gids, along with N `map' files.  zap applies one of these map
files to the disk.  The special file assigns particular IDs, such as
`root = 0'; people not in the special file get IDs starting at 256 (or
some other value of your choice).

The package also includes a few programs for fixing up quota files and
such.  I wrote mp and zap, others wrote the others.
--
In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Univ of MD Comp Sci Dept (+1 301 405 2750)
Domain:	chris at cs.umd.edu	Path:	uunet!mimsy!chris