tar or cpio, which is better?

Bob McGowen x4312 dept208 bob at wyse.wyse.com
Tue Nov 13 11:35:48 AEST 1990

In article <1990Nov12.095657.22489 at erbe.se> prc at erbe.se (Robert Claeson) writes:
>In a recent article tim at comcon.UUCP (Tim Brown) writes, on tar vs. cpio:
>
>>Tar seems more portable.  I did some archives on a system running
...11 deleted lines...
>detect end-of-tape and create multi-volume archives. It has better
>support for incremental backups and selective restores. And it supports
>longer paths than tar's limit of 100 characters.

cpio will also backup device files where tar will not.  This means
named pipes such as SysV UNIX's use for lpsched and cron interprocess
communication.  I do not know if this is a problem for the operation
of these two programs, however.

Bob McGowan  (standard disclaimer, these are my own ...)
Product Support, Wyse Technology, San Jose, CA
..!uunet!wyse!bob
bob at wyse.com