NFS Mount Point Strategy?

Daniel Smith dansmith at well.sf.ca.us
Sat Nov 17 15:50:59 AEST 1990

[much ado about mount points]

	Me and a couple of others came up with the following scheme, which
has been in use at Island Graphics for a couple of years:

	Every machine with a disk has a /usr/machinename/people and
/usr/machinename/projects.  For instance, my home is
/usr/bermuda/people/daniel, and I can log into any other island machine
and access it as /usr/bermuda/people/daniel.  This simplifies things
a lot, since we can talk about a project directory (/usr/java/projects/whatever)
or a something in someone's account as the same absolute name wherever
we're logged in.   It was fun throwing the /usr2 name out the window.
Another benefit is that all of us have just one big account, rather than
10 or 15 little ones (one on each machine).

	We're also starting to drift towards a lot of automounting, since
all the crossmounting on our machines is getting to be a bit much.

				Daniel
--
              Daniel Smith, Island Graphics, Marin County, CA
   dansmith at well.sf.ca.us   daniel at island.com   unicom!daniel at pacbell.com