Network Tools

Tin Le Tin Man tin at smsc.sony.com
Fri Nov 9 04:52:41 AEST 1990

  There isn't such a thing as a package of tools for the Sysadmin or a
  network QA person to use.  At least not in the public domain that I am
  aware of.  What I have done is to collect the tools available on the
  net and package them into a network test package.  The goal (my goal)
  is to have a package that can do several things:

	1. Validation - network protocol, network function calls (sockets,
		STREAMS, RPC/XDR).

	2. Performance - monitoring, throughput (FTP, NFS, etc.)

	3. Monitoring - this is more for trouble-shooting and to watch
		out for potential problems.

   I haven't found all the software I needed yet, but have found a number
   of useful tools.  The only problem is that many (most) are written for
   Suns and needed a lot of porting to run on System VR4.  I've ported a
   number of them and in the process of porting the rest (when I can find
   time :)).  A co-worker is adding a Sun NIT workalike into our version
   of SVR4.

   Here is a list (not comprehensive):

	- arpdump	Examine arp packets
	- chknfs	Monitor NFS network
	- nfsstone	Benchmark NFS from Encore
	- nhfsstone	Benchmark NFS from Legato
	- tcpcon	Util for using pty on TCP
	- tcpdebug	Util (menu driven) for looking at TCP connections
	- tcpdump	An etherfind clone from Van Jacobson
	- traceroute	Util to trace route of IP packets
	- ttcp		Benchmark TCP throughput

   If there are something I missed above, please let me know.  I'll be
   glad to maintain the list and post it every so often.

-- Tin

--
. Tin Le                    Work Internet: tin at smsc.Sony.COM
. Work: (408) 944-4157      Home Internet: tin at szebra.uu.net