NFS Mount Point Strategy?

Scott Larsen larsen at prism.cs.orst.edu
Wed Nov 14 12:23:32 AEST 1990

In article <1990Nov10.144551.809 at alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca> system at alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca (System Admin (Mike Peterson)) writes:
>We have just got NFS working between our Apollo systems and SGI/IBM boxes,
>and I have a few questions about the "right" way to set things up:
.
.
>2) What directory structure is best for the actual mount points:

Well, here at OSU, all of our machines run NFS and we ran into a BIG
problem with inconsistant naming, so we thought a bit and cam up with
this:

mount all partitions under /nfs/machinename/partition.

This boils down to this:

a machine called prism with a /local would be /nfs/prism/local
a machine called mist with a /src would be /nfs/mist/src
a machine called jasper with a /usr/local/src would be
	/nfs/jasper/usr-local-src with links pu in for /nfs/jasper/src
	and /nfs/jasper/usr/local/src

So far we have had no problems with this naming scheme.  We have been
using it for about 9 months now.

Scott Larsen
larsen at prism.cs.orst.edu