NFS Mount Point Strategy?

Kishore Seshadri kseshadr at quasar.intel.com
Tue Nov 20 10:34:54 AEST 1990

In article <3737 at skye.ed.ac.uk>, richard at aiai (Richard Tobin) writes:
>In article <1990Nov10.144551.809 at alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca> system at alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca (System Admin (Mike Peterson)) writes:
>>2) What directory structure is best for the actual mount points:
>
>We mount system:dir on /nfs/system/dir and have a symbolic link to this.
>This has the advantage that when getwd() searches a directory, it never
>looks at unnecessary remote mount points.

This does not necessarily fix the hanging problem for SunOS 4.0.x systems.
The getwd() algorithm was changed to where, every time a mount point is
crossed, getwd checks the /etc/mtab and tries to find a mount moint with
the same device id. If it does find one, it prepends the path for this
mount point to the current path (derived so far..). While this means that
getwd doesn't walk all the way up the tree to /, it may stat most of the
entries in /etc/mtab which of course could make things worse...Sun uses
a getwd cache to get around this problem which in turn leads to other
problems...

So while the above may help, it doesn't solve everything.

Kishore
kseshadr at mipos3.intel.com