vi "TMP file too large" error

news at afit.af.mil news at afit.af.mil
Sun Feb 24 12:24:57 AEST 1991

Well, If I had known I'd get so many responses to this vi problem, I'd have
posted a lot sooner!  I've got a much more accurate AND timely response from
this board than I have from the ATT support line.  As it turns out, ATT
*cripples* some of their versions of vi with a file size limit.
I assume it's to prevent resource conflicts on some of the smaller machines
they market.  If that's so, then you would think that they would send me a
version with no limit or at least a much larger limit, right?  Their answer:
"Sure, if you just send us $$$, we'll send you an *enhancement* version."

Needless to say, I didn't take them up on the offer. I guess I'll just work
around it by splitting up the larger files, editing, and putting them back
together again.

Thanks again to all those who responded.

John Robinson

John S. Robinson			Air Force Institute of Technology
Instructor in Computer Engineering	Wright Patterson AFB, OH  45433-6583
jsrobins at blackbird.afit.af.mil		Work:	(513) 476-4500