vi "TMP file too large" error

Tom Christiansen tchrist at convex.COM
Sun Feb 24 15:59:31 AEST 1991

>From the keyboard of news at afit.af.mil:
:As it turns out, ATT
:*cripples* some of their versions of vi with a file size limit.
:I assume it's to prevent resource conflicts on some of the smaller machines
:they market.  If that's so, then you would think that they would send me a
:version with no limit or at least a much larger limit, right?  Their answer:
:"Sure, if you just send us $$$, we'll send you an *enhancement* version."

I'm shocked and amazed.  It brings to mind the punchline of an old joke:

    We're the phone company.  We don't care -- we don't have to.

--tom
--
"UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because
 that would also stop you from doing clever things." -- Doug Gwyn

 Tom Christiansen                tchrist at convex.com      convex!tchrist