Who's in charge here: Oracle or Unix?

Robert Claeson prc at erbe.se
Mon Feb 18 21:21:40 AEST 1991

In article <1777 at public.BTR.COM> scharf at public.BTR.COM (Jerry Scharf  scharf at btr.com) writes:

>My personal experiences with Oracle are as bad as the
>others I've seen. Do they still fail to catch the shutdown signal, and
>leave the database corrupted when the system is shut down without first
>stopping Oracle.

I think so. One site I know (okay, it's one of Oracle's own offices)
has all their terminals and other async devices connected to Annex II
terminal servers from Xylogics. They have the logout timer enabled, so
when a user is logged in and types nothing for three hours, the terminal
server resets the serial port and terminates all network connections
leading to/from it. The problem is, the user's Oracle processes doesn't
terminate. All their other, non-Oracle applications (like wordprocessors)
gets terminated. Sadly, they think that the terminal server, not Oracle,
is at fault.

--
Robert Claeson

Disclaimer: I represent myself and not my employer.