Who's in charge here: Oracle or Unix?

Bob Daniel rad at genco.bungi.com
Fri Feb 22 14:13:15 AEST 1991

>In article <1777 at public.BTR.COM> scharf at public.BTR.COM (Jerry Scharf  scharf at btr.com) writes:
>
>>My personal experiences with Oracle are as bad as the
>>others I've seen. Do they still fail to catch the shutdown signal, and
>>leave the database corrupted when the system is shut down without first
>>stopping Oracle.

There is a simple solution to this.  You can easily setup a shutdown
oracle script and place it in /etc/rc0.d  and to auto startup oracle,
place a startup script in /etc/rc2.d.  This works very well for me.
When unix performs a shutdown, the oracle database(s) will be properly
shutdown.  When unix comes up, the database(s) come up.  The concept
is exactly the same as starting up/shutting down the lp scheduler and
cron.  If anyone wants the scripts to do this, I'll email them.