How could I set term at login

Arne Henrik Juul arnej at Lise.Unit.NO
Sun Feb 24 04:30:43 AEST 1991

At our site we use the tset program. This is not as
transparent to users as it might have been, but it works
better with all those strange terminal types and different
machines and the telnet-ing around that we do all the time.

This means that at most initial logins, tset asks the
users which terminal he has (probably you would want to
use vt100 as the default) like this:

TERM = ( vt100 )

and you may answer with just return or with 'vt200' if
that is better, or even with 'dumb' if it's some
braindamaged old terminal...

When you telnet or rlogin later on, things will normally
be quite OK without extra input.

Relevant things from our /local/skel/all.login:

if ( ! $?TERM ) setenv TERM '?unknown'
if ( "$TERM" == network   \
   ||  "$TERM" == dumb    \
   ||  "$TERM" == unknown \
   ||  "$TERM" == su      ) then
	setenv TERM '?unknown'
endif

set noglob
set ttynam=`tty`
switch ( `tty` )
	case /dev/console:
	case /dev/tty[pqr]*:
		eval `tset -s -r -Q $TERM`
	breaksw
	default:
		eval `tset -s -r -Q ?$TERM`
endsw
unset noglob

Regards, Arne H. Juul, system administrator solan.unit.no

arnej at lise.unit.no   -- internet mail please        -- hacker -
Arne.Juul at unit.no    -- X/400 mail for sadists      --    I   -
juul at norunit.bitnet  -- bitnet mail if you have to. --  hope  -