Backups.. Backups .!!

Fred Stellabotte At Cold Spring Harbor Lab stellabo at gene.cshl.org
Sun Feb 24 00:14:15 AEST 1991

Does anyone have any ideas ... ??

Like many sites .. I have several large Sun fileservers (disk space > 2 gigs)
Currently, we only have 2 8mm tape backup devices .. so we do alot of
backups every other night .. so we can alternate using the devices between
machines. We also have 3 sybase and 1 Oracle databases to backup ..so
alot of are backups are done by hand.

Does anyone know of a good hardware AND software solution to this pressing
backup problem. I would like some network device with very large capacity
( > 10 gigabytes ), that could be setup to accept the Sun's dump command
using the 'host:' qualifier. I would also consider a solution that uses custom
sofware.  With this setup I would like to do all my backups from cron in the
middle of the night.

If I get some good replies .. I will post them back to this newsgroup.

Thanks for reading this ..

Fred J. Stellabotte
Computer Systems Manager
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory