vi "TMP file too large" error

Tom Christiansen tchrist at convex.COM
Fri Feb 22 05:32:18 AEST 1991

>From the keyboard of news at afit.af.mil:
:I'm having problems editing large files over 300k with vi on our ATT 3B2.
:We're running System V3.3 Unix.  When I try to edit a large file, vi reads
:in only a portion of the file and gives the "TMP file too large" error.
:I have plenty of disk space under /usr/tmp where the temp files are written
:and 48MB of RAM.
:
:The question is:  Is there some system parameter I can change to increase
:the allowable size of the TMP file, or is this just another wonderful
:"feature" of System V?

Thank AT&T.  Their vi, or at least some of its incarnations, has a
filesize limit.  Get the real vi from BSD or Sun and the problem will go
away.  If you can't do that, flame your vendor.

--tom
--
"UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because
 that would also stop you from doing clever things." -- Doug Gwyn

 Tom Christiansen                tchrist at convex.com      convex!tchrist