Reliability Exabyte tapes

Kral braun at dri.com
Tue Feb 26 03:25:49 AEST 1991

In article <3235 at canisius.UUCP> pavlov at canisius.UUCP (Greg Pavlov) writes:
>In article <1781 at svin02.info.win.tue.nl>, hansb at svin02.info.win.tue.nl (Hans Bouw) writes:
>>
>> Does anyone know if the Sony p5-90MP video-8 tapes
>> are reliable, can I restore files from those tapes
>> after 2 years or should I use tapes from Maxell or
>> Exabyte.

>  The consensus was that the most
>  reliable tapes were Exabyte's and SONY P6-120MPs.  Re the latter, there was
>  a consensus that 1 out of apx. every 40-50 cartridges or so were found to
>  be defective.  Our relatively short-term experience (apx. 7 months) has con-
>  firmed this.

As an aside: we noted that the difference in price between P6s and P5, compared
with the "grey" cost of keeping an inventory of two different kinds of tapes
(one for large volume, one for small) was insignificant enough to just use one
(P6) kind of tape for all uses.

--
kral * 408/647-6112 *               ...!uunet!drivax!braun * braun at dri.com
discoveries, is not "Eureka!" (I found it!) but "That's funny ..."