Reliability Exabyte tapes

Greg Pavlov pavlov at canisius.UUCP
Mon Feb 25 16:48:42 AEST 1991

In article <1781 at svin02.info.win.tue.nl>, hansb at svin02.info.win.tue.nl (Hans Bouw) writes:

> Does anyone know if the Sony p5-90MP video-8 tapes
> are reliable, can I restore files from those tapes
> after 2 years or should I use tapes from Maxell or
> Exabyte.

  A while ago, someone posted a long summary message of responses to a similar
  query.  This included a site that claimed to have done a substantial stress
  test comparing a number of 8MM cartridges.  The consensus was that the most
  reliable tapes were Exabyte's and SONY P6-120MPs.  Re the latter, there was
  a consensus that 1 out of apx. every 40-50 cartridges or so were found to
  be defective.  Our relatively short-term experience (apx. 7 months) has con-
  firmed this.

  pavlov at stewart.fstrf.org