vi "TMP file too large" error

Bill Vermillion bill at bilver.uucp
Wed Feb 27 02:26:50 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb22.142239.16509 at tygra.UUCP> cat at tygra.UUCP (CAT-TALK Maint. Account) writes:
>In article <1991Feb21.183218.8617 at convex.com> tchrist at convex.COM (Tom Christiansen) writes:

>"Thank AT&T.  Their vi, or at least some of its incarnations, has a
>"filesize limit.  Get the real vi from BSD or Sun and the problem will go
>"away.  If you can't do that, flame your vendor.

>Ditto SCO XENIX's vi (its probably a SYSV clone). It'll handle just under
>500k before spitting out that message. We have ELVIS and STEVIE, but they
>can't handle using TERMINFO instead of the error-riddled TERMCAP and the
>arrow keys don't work at 2400bps or lower.

Well there must be different versions of SCO's vi, because I have one that
I have had files larger than 2 megs that I have edited.  The Unix V.2.3
from Esix  on another system I have dies at about 400k max.  As a matter of
fact I copied the vi from SCO onto the Unix box  (I own them both).
Just grabbed the history file and loaded in 50272 lines at 3,177,657 byte
in size.

This is SCO Xenix 2.3.0 with development system.

                      : bill at bilver.UUCP