IRC and Security

Heiko Blume src at scuzzy.in-berlin.de
Sun Mar 17 22:03:52 AEST 1991

pmartin at uceng.UC.EDU (Paul Martin) writes:

>In article <NAPO.91Mar13202006 at vipunen.hut.fi> napo at vipunen.hut.fi (Hannu Napari) writes:
>>In article <7748 at uceng.UC.EDU> pmartin at uceng.UC.EDU (Paul Martin) writes:
>>>We have removed
>>>IRC because of the problems that I described above.  I urge all administrators
>>
>>On this basis you should remove talk, smtp, nntp...
>>

>Sorry but IRC appears to be SOLELY used for entertainment.  This is a
>poor example of how to spend the students and taxpayers money.

sure it appears like that to you, because you probably won't get invited
to the private channels with this attitude.
btw, do they entertain themselved on channel +nippon ? can you
read/understand what the finnish people talk about?
what the hell do you know?

since, as you say, the students pay for it (too) they at least can use it
for entertainment (too).

seriously: at least here in germany IRC is used for network management.
you know, it's kinda hard to phone with 4 admins at once, and IRC
is certainly much cheaper than phoning people N miles away.
--
      Heiko Blume <-+-> src at scuzzy.in-berlin.de <-+-> (+49 30) 691 88 93
                  public UNIX source archive [HST V.42bis]: