IRC and Security

Jon Gefaell jon at turing.acs.virginia.edu
Wed Mar 20 03:33:03 AEST 1991

In article <24519 at hydra.gatech.EDU> scott at prism.gatech.EDU (Scott Holt) writes:
>There are a number of pluses and minuses concerning IRC - however,
>the so-called security problems it causes are problems it has in
>common with any communications medium. I don't think you will find
>any medium which has not been used for some criminal purpose at some
>time in its existance.
>
>The problems I have with IRC have nothing to do with security, but
>the resources it takes. It has been mentioned that IRC is not a
>heavy load on resources - to that my reply is b------t. It may be
>a minor drain on network facilities, but it is a serious drain on other
>resources.

This sounds like a site specific concern. I urge to to deal with the matter
within your domain in any manner you wish. I also urge you not to make your
problems ours.

>others are waiting - what are we supposed to do, walk around an look
>over everyones'shoulders?

Get more seats, or design, implement, and enforce local policies to eliminate
IRC in your domain.

>I think the only way to keep IRC and similar facilities from becoming
>more trouble than they are worth is for the folks to manage the relays
>to take more responsibility. For example, if some site administrators
>do not want people using IRC, then they should be able to have the
>relay operators configure the relay to deny access to their sites.

You might consider taking action to restrict use of port 6667, or
other means.

--
____
\  /       		 Jon Gefaell (jon at Turing.acs.Virginia.EDU)