IRC and Security

Dan Bernstein brnstnd at kramden.acf.nyu.edu
Fri Mar 22 07:29:26 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar19.173953.20702 at murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU> jon at turing.acs.virginia.edu (Jon Gefaell) writes:
> >You may argue that it's not your responsibility to worry about illegal
> >behavior. You just shouldn't criticize those who do.
> You are the one calling it illegal behaviour. Those of us with a clue know
> better.

I didn't say that IRC was illegal, only that many of its users appear to
(illegally!) send large amounts of data across it that does *not*
contribute to instruction or research. Sorry, but whimpers like ``those
of us with a clue know better'' don't hold up in court, or with the
Department of Education, or with the administrators who pay the bills.

I don't see IRC taking up noticeable resources here, so I'm not worried
about it. I just think that it's rather idiotic to criticize someone who
does worry about it.

---Dan