DSZ ZMODEM problem

Dave McLane davidg%aegis.or.jp at kyoto-u.ac.jp
Wed Mar 27 12:04:14 AEST 1991

rickc at telly.on.ca (Rick Copley) writes:

> In article <910322399 at minixug.mugnet.org> root at minixug.mugnet.org (MINIXUG-ON
> >jim at crom2.uucp (James P. H. Fuller) wrote:
> >>
> >>     I'd like to hear about this also.  I have Forsberg's rz and sz compile
> >> for ISC Unix rel.2.2  (SysVr3.2) and whenever people call from DOS machine
> >> and try to download stuff using dsz they get lots of timeouts and error re
> >> covery and a very low transfer rate.  My modem is a T2500 with the registe
> >> optimized (as best I can) for unix/uucp.
> >> [* stuff deleted *]
> I use rz/sz and a DOS program called TELIX together with no problems at all.
>
> The rz/sz came with the system (NCR Tower 800 running SYS Vr3).  TELIX
> is a general purpose tele-comm program. similar to (but much superior IMHO)
> Procomm.
>
> I have got transmittions to work over direct-link at 38400, with very few
> retries or NACks or any problems at all.
>
> I have got it to work with still as few problems using USRobotics modems
> at 9600.
>
> I did try DSZ once (a demo copy) and I didn't really like it so I stuck with
> TELIX.

The original question was about using rz/sz with a T2500, not a
direct link or with a USR.

For what it's worth, I'm not using rz/sz but I am running Telix
V3.12 with DSZ (also by Omen Tech) and it has all kinds of problems
when it comes to Z-Modem and the T2500.

In particular, the sending side gets way way ahead of the receiving
side, then there's and error, and then the sending side again sends
much of what it had already sent.  The pattern (send, send, send,
error, fall back, send, send, send) continues until, eventually,
the file is transferred.

This doesn't happen with the USR and it doesn't happen with a
direct connect, only with the T2500.  I also suspect the (10-12K?)
buffer in the T2500 but haven't had time to work out how to
configure either DSZ, the T2500 or both.

--Dave