DSZ ZMODEM problem

Matt Ranney t22918 at ursa.calvin.edu
Tue Mar 19 14:23:32 AEST 1991

jim at crom2.uucp (James P. H. Fuller) writes:

>and try to download stuff using dsz they get lots of timeouts and error re-
>covery and a very low transfer rate.  My modem is a T2500 with the registers
>optimized (as best I can) for unix/uucp.  Also my rz/sz is fairly old, since
>it's what came as a freebie on the disk Omen Tech sent me when I registered
>dsz-for-DOS a couple of years ago.  Would a newer rz/sz help, or is it my
>modem settings or something else?  My serial card has only a 16450 UART, but
>all the errors happen even at 2400bps, so it doesn't seem that the lack of
>a buffer is the problem.

I'm having almost the same problem.  I think I know where the problem
lies (at least in out situation).  All calls on our campus go through
various terminal servers.  These terminal servers are connected to the
various machines via a 38K baud Ethernet link.   But, since the
highest supported incoming line's speed is 9600 baud, at LOT of
bufferig is taking place in the terminal server.  So, say you get one
error, your terminal tries to tell the host that you have an error,
but the host still has 8 or 9K more of data that you are going to get
wether you like it or not.  End result: VERY low transfer rates, and
lots of "Garbage count exceeded" message on the PC end.

So, the problem could be solved by just getting sz/rz to talk to me at
my particular baud rate (command line flag).  Can this be done?
Matt Ranney                mranney at wybbs.mi.org
t22918 at ursa.calvin.edu     mranney at mole.ai.mit.edu (or any other FSF machine)