DSZ ZMODEM problem

Floyd Davidson floyd at ims.alaska.edu
Tue Mar 19 15:41:47 AEST 1991

In article <t22918.669356612 at ursa> t22918 at ursa.calvin.edu (Matt Ranney) writes:
>jim at crom2.uucp (James P. H. Fuller) writes:
>
>>and try to download stuff using dsz they get lots of timeouts and error re-

[...]

>I'm having almost the same problem.  I think I know where the problem
>lies (at least in out situation).  All calls on our campus go through
>various terminal servers.  These terminal servers are connected to the
>various machines via a 38K baud Ethernet link.   But, since the
>highest supported incoming line's speed is 9600 baud, at LOT of
>bufferig is taking place in the terminal server.  So, say you get one
>error, your terminal tries to tell the host that you have an error,
>but the host still has 8 or 9K more of data that you are going to get
>wether you like it or not.  End result: VERY low transfer rates, and
>lots of "Garbage count exceeded" message on the PC end.
>
>So, the problem could be solved by just getting sz/rz to talk to me at
>my particular baud rate (command line flag).  Can this be done?

Another source of problems, both in talking to Procomm on a DOS
machine, and going through a terminal server, is XON/XOFF flow
control.

It needs to be turned off everywhere.  Packet numbers that are
the same as XOFF will shutdown one end and cause timeouts.  On
terminal servers there are usually a number of other "editing"
or "control" characters that can get you into trouble.  The
terminal server must be put into a "passthru" or "passall"
mode.

Floyd

--
Floyd L. Davidson  |  floyd at ims.alaska.edu   |  Alascom, Inc. pays me
Salcha, AK 99714   |    Univ. of Alaska      |  but not for opinions.