DSZ ZMODEM problem

Rick Copley rickc at telly.on.ca
Tue Mar 26 03:51:53 AEST 1991

In article <910322399 at minixug.mugnet.org> root at minixug.mugnet.org (MINIXUG-ONLINE System Manager) writes:
>jim at crom2.uucp (James P. H. Fuller) wrote:
>>
>>     I'd like to hear about this also.  I have Forsberg's rz and sz compiled
>> for ISC Unix rel.2.2  (SysVr3.2) and whenever people call from DOS machines
>> and try to download stuff using dsz they get lots of timeouts and error re-
>> covery and a very low transfer rate.  My modem is a T2500 with the registers
>> optimized (as best I can) for unix/uucp.  Also my rz/sz is fairly old, since
>> it's what came as a freebie on the disk Omen Tech sent me when I registered
>> dsz-for-DOS a couple of years ago.  Would a newer rz/sz help, or is it my
>> modem settings or something else?  My serial card has only a 16450 UART, but
>> all the errors happen even at 2400bps, so it doesn't seem that the lack of
>> a buffer is the problem.

> (stuff deleted)

>Fred van Kempen
><waltje at uwalt.nl.mugnet.org>

I use rz/sz and a DOS program called TELIX together with no problems at all.

The rz/sz came with the system (NCR Tower 800 running SYS Vr3).  TELIX
is a general purpose tele-comm program. similar to (but much superior IMHO)
Procomm.

I have got transmittions to work over direct-link at 38400, with very few
retries or NACks or any problems at all.

I have got it to work with still as few problems using USRobotics modems
at 9600.

I did try DSZ once (a demo copy) and I didn't really like it so I stuck with
TELIX.

--
#include <sys/types.h>            /* Rick Copley - rickc at telly.on.ca */
main()                            /* PROGRESS Programmer/Systems Analyst */