DSZ ZMODEM problem

David Kessner david at kessner.denver.co.us
Tue Mar 19 15:58:26 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar18.151002.1423 at crom2.uucp> jim at crom2.uucp (James P. H. Fuller) writes:
>    I'd like to hear about this also.  I have Forsberg's rz and sz compiled
>for ISC Unix rel.2.2  (SysVr3.2) and whenever people call from DOS machines
>and try to download stuff using dsz they get lots of timeouts and error re-
>covery and a very low transfer rate.  My modem is a T2500 with the registers
>optimized (as best I can) for unix/uucp.  Also my rz/sz is fairly old, since
>it's what came as a freebie on the disk Omen Tech sent me when I registered
>dsz-for-DOS a couple of years ago.  Would a newer rz/sz help, or is it my
>modem settings or something else?  My serial card has only a 16450 UART, but
>all the errors happen even at 2400bps, so it doesn't seem that the lack of
>a buffer is the problem.
>                                                James P. H. Fuller
>                                                jim%crom2 at nstar.rn.com

Being a UNIX and DOS user, I have found the file transfer protocol of
Procomm and Procomm+ (I have not tried version 2) a little sub-standard.
I could download from a UNIX host (using sb and sx) about 70% of the time,
but only upload (using rb and rx) less than 20% of the time.  Often it would
just abort before the first block was transfered.

I would suggest trying TELIX (on the DOS side).  If it works then you know the
source of the problem.  If it doesn't then you havent lost anything (since
TELIX is shareware).  I have used rz/sz on a 386 UNIX box with 16550 UARTS
connected with a 286 using a 16450 at baud rates as high as 38400 baud.

					- David K
--
David Kessner - david at kessner.denver.co.us            | do {
1135 Fairfax, Denver CO  80220  (303) 377-1801 (p.m.) |    . . .