Project Athena ( was Re: Non Destructive Version of rm)

Henry Mensch henry at ADS.COM
Sat May 11 02:09:26 AEST 1991

asg at sage.cc.purdue.edu (The Grand Master) wrote:
->jik at athena.mit.edu (Jonathan I. Kamens) writes:
->}  I have asserted that our "attach" is secure, and that root access to our
->}public workstations does not compromise our security.  I have offered to mail
->
->Just answer one quick question. I assume that each workstation has a
->disk of it's own mounted on / right? If so, can I not log into one of
->your workstations and rm -rf /, thus making it useless? Can I not do
->this for EACH AND EVERY WORKSTATION YOU HAVE?

ever hear of:

-> boot media?

-> booting over the network??

the contents of the hard disk can be reinstalled off boot media or
over the network in less than five minutes.

yeah, sure, you can do this, but it's not of much consequence.

--
# Henry Mensch / Advanced Decision Systems / <henry at ads.com>