E-mail Privacy

Randy Marchany marchany at vtserf.cc.vt.edu
Wed May 29 05:06:57 AEST 1991

In article <eifrig.675445250 at voronoi.cs.jhu.edu> eifrig at cs.jhu.edu (Jack Eifrig) writes:
>	Bluntly, your (or my) opinion on the legality of such snooping is
>really of no interest; neither of us is a lawyer practicing in this area.

Amen.
The Electronic Mail Association sponsored a white paper on the privacy
of electronic mail in companies. I list some papers for those that are
interested and ask the group to direct their energies toward developing
procedures for educating our respective user communities on responsible
computer use.

Here are some references for those who interested:
1. D.Johnson, J. Podesta, "Formulating a Company Policy on Access to
   and Disclosure of Electronic Mail on Company Computer Systems",
   Available from The Electronic Mail Assoc., 1555 Wilson Blvd,
   Suite 555, Arlington, VA 22209, 703-522-7111, 10/22/90
2. J. Linn, "Privacy Enhancement for Internet Electronic Mail", Part I
   is listed as RFC 1113, Part II is listed as RFC 1114, IAB Privacy
   Task Force, 8/89. Part III is listed as RFC 1115.
3. D. Parker, S. Swope, B. Baker, "Ethical Conflicts: Information and
   Computer Science, Technology and Business", QED Information Sciences
   Inc., Wellesley, MA
4. Internet Activities Board (IAB), "Ethics and the Internet", RFC 1087
   appears in Comm. of the ACM, V32, No.6, p.710, 6/89.
5. MIT, "Teaching Students about Responsible Use of Computers, reprinted
   in the Comm. of the ACM, v32, No.6, p.704, 6/89
6. The National COmputer Security Center (NCSC) has a number of docs
   available from the Superintendent of Documents, NCSC, 9800 Savage
   Rd., Ft. Meade, MD 20755-6000.
	- CSC-STD-002-85, 4/12/85, DOD, "Password Management Guideline",
7. American Bar Assoc., Section of Science and Technology, "Guide to
   the Prosecution of Telecommunication Fraud by the Use of Computer
   Crime Statutes", ABA, 1989

The University of New Mexico has a collection of ethics docs via FTP, IP
address 129.24.8.1 under the /ethics dir.

	-Randy Marchany
	VA Tech Computing Center
	Blacksburg, VA 24061
Internet: marchany at vtserf.cc.vt.edu