E-mail Privacy

Scott McMahan mcmahan at cs.unca.edu
Wed May 29 03:12:51 AEST 1991

In a very, very confusing article, Mike Conca writes:

>I am the system administrator for a group of research scientists in the
>psychology department here.  Today I was presented with a rather touchy
>situation:

and it is explained:

>Aproximately 1 month ago, a certain employee was advised that he/she was
>was acting in an inappropriate manner and that they needed to make
>certain adjustments in their attitude.  A meeting was held between the head

Whose attitude is being adjusted? The ones complaining or the one acting
inappropriately?  It is clear that either could expect the other to
change, but not clear which is complaining.

>Now for the tough questions.
>	Is this legal?  Is this ethical?  If this person still worked
>here, I would immediately refuse.  But since they don't, do they still
>have any rights to their E-mail?  Right now, I am leaning towards refusing
>because I think a person's E-mail is theirs, regardless of their status
>with the organization.  Anyone have any other opinions on this?

>								-Mike

Is all the E-Mail owned and read collectively, or is it considered
the property of each person?  Did all the people involved quit
at the same time?