E-mail Privacy

Jack Eifrig eifrig at cs.jhu.edu
Wed May 29 01:26:58 AEST 1991

More in the ongoing privacy debate:

In article <80 at talgras.UUCP> david at talgras.UUCP (David Hoopes) writes:

>Assuming that the system is one that is provided by the employeer (not a
>"Public" facility.  Then IMHO it is legal.  The employeer owns the contents
>of that system including mail.

	Bluntly, your (or my) opinion on the legality of such snooping is
really of no interest; neither of us is a lawyer practicing in this area.

>Is it ethical, yes.  I tell all of the users on my systems that I can and will
>read anything that gets put on the system.  My main reason for doing this is
>to ensure that they know that mail is not secure.  If I where you I would
>point out to your boss that e-mail should not be used used for that kind
>of memo.  I have never gone snooping in users mail ( I have work to do) but
>I would not hesitate to do so if I had any reason to.

	"Any reason"?  You mean like mere curiosity?  And you claim this is
ETHICAL?  It's people like you that make encryption technology necessary.

>David Hoopes                              Tallgrass Technologies Inc.
>uunet!talgras!david                       11100 W 82nd St.
>Voice: (913) 492-6002 x323                Lenexa, Ks  66214

	I'll keep this in mind if I ever happen to come in professional con-
tact with you.  This one's for you, Dave:

	"As someday it may happen that a victim must be found,
		I've got a little list - I've got a little list
	 Of society offenders who might well be under ground
		And who never would me missed - who never would be missed."

				- W.S. Gilbert, "The Mikado"