SUMMARY: Backup while in multi-user mode

Ray Loyzaga yar at cs.su.oz
Fri May 24 09:43:30 AEST 1991

In article <KJIBZ8B at xds13.ferranti.com> peter at ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
> What I don't understand is why people are still using "dump" to do backups?
> A pretty minimal script using "find -newer level-file" and "cpio" works just
> fine on active file systems.
> --
> Peter da Silva; Ferranti International Controls Corporation; +1 713 274 5180;
> Sugar Land, TX  77487-5012;         `-_-' "Have you hugged your wolf, today?"

Restore -i is pretty cute, particularly as our users rarely know the
complete path name of a file accurately, and dump is faster ...
What does cpio do if it receives a name from find that has just been removed?
How about directories?
Do you have to read the entire cpio file to
know if a file is on it (assuming no TOC held on a disk)?
Does -newer just check the modification time, if so you might miss some files that
have been touched backwards, it should use the inode change time.