restore crashes remote machine

Alain Brossard EPFL-SIC/SII brossard at sic.epfl.ch
Sun May 26 01:07:43 AEST 1991

In article <1991May13.151730.3701 at ccu.umanitoba.ca>, mills at ccu.umanitoba.ca (Gary Mills) writes:

|> I just obtained Sun's patch for this (patch 100288-02).  It consists
|> of a new copy of kern_sig.o.  When I run strings on the old and new
|> copies, the only addition is:
|>
|> It looks a bit odd to me.  I assume it fixes the bug.

   The fact that there is one more string doesn't mean that
the code wasn't changed elsewhere!  The patch does work, but I
think it creates/reveals a bug with TFS.  I haven't tried this since,
but when we installed the patch and the user tried its restore trick,
my machine didn't crash anymore BUT my tfs mounts where all
screwed ups and I had to reboot anyway!  This occured twice and
we have refrained from using the t flag to restore since.
--

Alain Brossard, Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne,
	SIC/SII, EL-Ecublens, CH-1015 Lausanne, Suisse
brossard at sasun1.epfl.ch