Re was: AIX PS/2 boot from hard disk

Francis Demierre francis at hslrswi.UUCP
Mon Dec 11 06:29:02 AEST 1989

Hi, Netland,

As many other people, I had problems when I went to install AIX on a PS2
which was previously installed with DOS in the first partition and SCO XENIX
in further ones.

I was missing very much the possibility to tell the AIX installation that
I wanted to overwrite the existing partitions on the disk.

AIX installation did not mention the fact that valid partitions existed on the
the disk but just prevented me to customize minidisks sizes as only a few
cylinders were free on the disk. (Other installations, as SCO XENIX or IBM
XENIX on AT, at least ask if you want to overwrite these partitions).

The easy solution as many people told already is to make a low level format.
The only point here is that it can be done with the Reference diskette IF YOU
KNOW the 'Hidden menu' trick (CTRL+A in main menu which is not documented
anywhere) and here, even the IBM guy who was with me did not know about !

Now two questions:

1. Has anybody installed DOS MERGE with AIX 1.1 and a bootable DOS partition ?

   I tried but I did not put the DOS partition at the begin of the disk 0
   and could not get the damn thing to work.
   ( I guess it will work if put at first partition of disk 0 ? )
   The real problem here is that after I booted from DOS diskette, prepared
   the DOS partition and made it active (That was a bad idea), I could not
   boot from the DOS diskette anymore and found no way of getting rid of this
   partition (And I went for another 'low level format --> install --> etc..)

2. Since AIX is installed (with DOS Merge and DOS Access), the system does
   not boot from a DOS diskette anymore (DOS diskette in drive and switch
   on).

   [ The DOS diskette is the original DOS diskette and I tested it on another
     machine ]

   Any idea ?

Thanks in advance.....