AIX on 3090

lcc!brian@la.locus.com Brian
Sun Dec 17 18:04:14 AEST 1989

In article <1989Dec17.062913.28580 at psuvax1.cs.psu.edu> schwartz at psuvax1.cs.psu.edu (Scott Schwartz) writes:
]Around here we do lots of VLSI design on old Sun4s, because it's faster
]than on our 3090/600E.   As you remark, IBM has wonderful thruput and
]lots of memory, but for scalar arithmatic the "Attack of the Killer
]Micros" has already been won.
]
]>That's why Intel designed the 486 running AIX on
]>the 3090, it wasn't due to liking Big Blue, they just had to have a system with
]>this kind of power. Well enough of my rambling, you get the idea.
]
]Ask someone at Motorola about how the 88000 was done.

	Actually, it wasn't so much the design of the 486 that was done
on the 3090/600, but rather the simulations.  Simulation of VLSI, even
at switch level takes up an enourmous amount of memory (virtual) and
at least as an enourmous amount of CPU.  For this the 3090 is good.
Not to mention the huge output files those Intel folks liked to create.

	As I understand it, the DESIGN phase WAS done on Sun workstations.