talk problem

Herb Peyerl root at blender.UUCP
Wed Nov 22 01:09:58 AEST 1989

lhf at aries5.uucp (Luiz H de Figueiredo) writes:
>>	talk: aixbf01: Can't figure out network address.
> I've had this problem.
> Run uname -a.
> If aixbf01 does not appear in the output, then you'll have to change your
>machine name to aixbf01.
> This is done with chparm (see manual).

Seems like rather a silly fix.  I'm running AIX-RT 2.2.1 and have
come up with this problem occasionally.. Basically you have to run
TCP/IP for talk to work.  This may already be obvious.  In fact just
this morning, while attempting to use "talk" I got this message.  Then
I realized I had taken /etc/rc.tcpip out of my /etc/rc file last week.
I just ran up the TCP daemons and everything is working fine.  I'm not
hooked up to any actual tcp networks.  I just do an:

/etc/route add host blender localhost 0

in my /etc/rc.tcpip file.  This set's up the routing and everything is
happy.

I suggest you RTFM for the TCP/IP setup. It's fairly simple.