talk problem

Bill Webb webb at bass.tcspa.ibm.com
Mon Nov 27 09:53:49 AEST 1989

> I am receiving the following message when I try to "talk root" or "talk ken"
> 	talk: aixbf01: Can't figure out network address.
> Does this ring any bells out there?
> --
> Ken Hall - Department Manager         |    Bellnet:  (404) 894-5559
> Office of the Assoc. VP for Bus & Fin |    Bitnet:   khall at gtri01.gatech.edu
> Georgia Institute of Technology       |    Internet: ken at pyr.gatech.edu

I'd say that for some reason your machine (I assume that its aixbf01)
isn't in its own /etc/hosts file. If you machine isn't networked then

	127.0.0.1 localhost loopback aixbf01

into /etc/hosts. If you machine is networked then I'd suggest checking
to make sure that the right line is in /etc/hosts and doing a

	ping aixbf01

to make sure that everything is ok in /etc/hosts. If everything
checks out ok I'd suggest making sure that the permissions on
/etc/hosts are ok, as /usr/bin/talk is not setuid, while a lot of
the other tools (ping, rsh, rlogin) are. That's about all I can
think of without more information.