GNU Emacs 18.55 and AIX PS/2 1.1

Jim Carciofini carciofi at SRC.Honeywell.COM
Thu Oct 12 06:05:29 AEST 1989

I just got GNU emacs 18.55 working on an IBM PS/2 (model P70) under AIX 1.1
I used m-ibmps2-aix.h and s-usg5-2-2.h I also had to add the following
in src/config.h after the "#include m-ibmps2-aix.h" line:

/* AIX has ptys unlike most usg machine */
#define HAVE_PTYS
/* Hack to get around apparent bug in AIX C compiler? "regex.c" appears to
   assume that C will extend the sign bit when a char is cast to an int.
   AIX C V1.1 does not do this. This hack does not work when compiler
   optimizations are turned on. Is there a better way to do this? */
#undef SIGN_EXTEND_CHAR
#define SIGN_EXTEND_CHAR(x) ((signed char) x)

The SIGN_EXTEND_CHAR problem caused most regular expresions to fail. Thus
temacs broke while trying to load "inc-vers". I am new to C and dont know
if this is the "right" way to fix this. I would like a "clean" fix that
will work when I turn on compiler optimizations. Any ideas?