GNU Emacs 18.55 and AIX PS/2 1.1

John C. Rossmann john at synsys.UUCP
Mon Oct 2 13:33:29 AEST 1989

I'm trying to bring up GNU emacs 18.55 on a PS/2 under AIX 1.1.
I'm using m-ibmps2-aix.h and s-usg5-2.h (or it might be s-usg5-2-2.h,
I'm not where I can check right now). Anyway, when I build it "straight",
with and without -O, everything builds but temacs blows up in the initial
"inc_vers" command. One build ended with "Termination code 138", another
with a segmentation violation.

Next, I built it with "CANT_LOAD" defined to tell temacs not to try to dump
in the lisp code. The unloaded version works, for the most part, but info
mode can't find the top node and therefore won't work. The top level info
file appears on the screen, but the initial --TEXT-- ... ... ^_ stuff is
on the screen too, and none of the mode commands work. Elisp says something
like "bad stringp - nil".  Note that I built 18.55 on my own SysV386 3.2
system from the same source with no problems, and everything I've tried
there works fine, including info mode. Info mode is important to me because
I'm new to using emacs and I'd like to have the on-line doc access that info
mode provides.

The PROBLEMS file suggests that inadequate page space could be the problem,
but the PS/2 I'm building emacs on has 8 megs of page space, and I did
the build with no other activity on the system.

If anyone out there has been able to do a "proper, normal" build under
AIX PS/2 1.1, with correct runtime behavior afterward, I'd really
appreciate hearing how you did it.

Thanks.

John Rossmann		(uunet!synsys!john)