installing WHIP

John Garnett garnett at rpp386.cactus.org
Sun Oct 29 00:59:37 AEST 1989

In article <1173 at msa3b.UUCP> kevin at msa3b.UUCP (Kevin P. Kleinfelter) writes:

>When I reinstalled WHIP (after telling it "Yes, go ahead and install on
>top of the existing verion") the install died with a core dump in the
>install script (soon after copying the files off the diskettes).
>The sequence of events is...
>
>	Segmentation violation
>	Directory or files missing
>	Segmentation violation
>	WHIP Installed Successfully
>
>(Funny, I don't think this is "success." :-(  )
>
>I would prefer NOT to have to re-install the whole d**n AIX from scratch
>ANOTHER time (is this 10?).
>
>Any help would be appreciated.

This problem plagued me as well.  For some time the only fix appeared
to be to reinstall AIX and WHIP - not exactly an acceptable solution.

I have learned that in certain cases this problem can be caused by
an incorrect stanza in /etc/system.  Find the 3270 Connection Card
stanza in /etc/system and make sure that the the "slot" parameter
is NOT set to "slot = planar".  Change this stanza so that it
reads "slot = #" where # is the slot that contains the 3270 card.
If you make this change, you must rebuild the kernel in order
for it to become effective (use the newkernel command).