comp.unix.aix

John Ioannidis ji at close.columbia.edu
Thu Oct 26 16:27:14 AEST 1989

In article <335 at ursa-major.SPDCC.COM> dyer at ursa-major.spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) writes:
>In article <13297 at orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> fink at nucthy.physics.orst.edu (Paul fink) writes:
>>
>>When this group was founded. It was to be linked with the Bitnet AIX-L
>>mailing list. Unfortunately, I blew it and the group was formed
>>unmoderated. To be linked with the AIX-L mailing list the group must
>>be moderated so that all postings will go though the mail list.
>>Can we do this with out a vote?

No need to vote. Quite a few newsgroups are being gatewayed to and from
ARPAnet mailing lists without being moderated. gnu.gcc is one that
comes to mind. ALl we need is ONE usenet node that also gets AIX-L to
do the gatewaying.

>Well, I think it's not such a great idea because support for
>moderated groups is pretty shoddy still with the news software.
>Posting articles becomes a crap game.  Frankly, I like the

That's why almost all moderators insist on articles being mailed to
them rather than being posted through the news software.

>immediacy and reliability of the give-and-take of what the AIX
>newsgroup has had so far as an unmoderated group.  There must be
>ways to merge AIX-L with comp.unix.aix without inconveniencing us.

See above.

/ji

In-Real-Life: John "Heldenprogrammer" Ioannidis
E-Mail-To: ji at cs.columbia.edu
V-Mail-To: +1 212 854 5510
P-Mail-To: 450 Computer Science \n Columbia University \n New York, NY 10027