CPU limit

Nicholas J. Simicich njs at scifi.UUCP
Sun Oct 22 06:30:19 AEST 1989

>In article <834 at mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU> cchen at mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Curtis Chen) writes:

>I am running a large program on my RT which is not allowed to run to
>completion.  After running this program for about an hour, this process
>is put to sleep.  I understand there is a limit on the amount of CPU
>that a process is allowed to consume before it is sleep-ed.  Is there
>any way to increase or eliminate this limit?  Also, is there any way
>to re-wake sleeping processes?

I've written many programs that have run for many weeks on an RT under
AIX.  A few of them have been CPU bound, either on purpose or by
accident :-) and they run until someone notices that they are looping,
or until completion.  I've done nothing fancy to increase any limits
on CPU.  I suggest the sar command, if you have it installed, to
determine the use of the system, and dbx can be used to attach to a
running process if it hasn't made fancy use of blocking signals.

I have had programs hang up on my, but I've always been able to
explain it as user error, especially if I got fancy with blocking
signals and other stuff.

--
Nick Simicich --- uunet!bywater!scifi!njs --- njs at ibm.com (Internet)