Some PS/2 AIX questions

Bill Webb webb at bass.tcspa.ibm.com
Thu Oct 5 11:03:21 AEST 1989

> 2.  DOS Merge & X:  Is there any way to specify full screen
> DOS mode from X?  I can start a DOS Merge window, or type
> "dos" at a c-shell prompt and get DOS in that window.  Is the
> only way to get full-screen DOS to exit X first?
> Wendy Ross
> wross at caen.engin.umich.edu

What you'd like to be able to do is "open dos" but that didn't work
from an X window even when I tried to subvert stdin etc. (sigh), so I
suggest that you hot-key to the console and type "open dos" from there.
Then when you want to go back to X you can hot-key there and back again.
If you're not starting X in a separate HFT session then you might think
about doing so or doing "open dos" before you start up X.

> 4.  Backups: what is the best way to perform backups over the
> network since "dump" isn't available?

I'd suggest using tar for the epoch dump, and touch a file at the
start, and then use
	tar cvf - `find ... -newer stamp ! -type d -print` | rsh ...
for the incrementals. If you run out of argument list room then its
probably time for a new epoch dump or switch to backup or cpio instead
of tar.

You can also use the "backup" command, e.g.
	find ... -print | backup -f - -i | rsh ...
but I found that you can't backup a disk or filesystem (the above command
is by name) unless you unmount it first (sigh).

You could also use cpio, but I'm not much of a cpio fan as it isn't a
BSD 4.3 command.

The main advantage of using tar is that you can read the tarfile on
other machines, which is often an advantage if worst comes to worst
and you need to use the backup.