Some PS/2 AIX questions

Wendy Ross wross at caen.engin.umich.edu
Mon Oct 2 10:32:00 AEST 1989

I have four questions, but first ...

The Background:  I have a PS/2 on an ethernet running AIX v1.1
(hopefully this is soon to change to 2.2!).  Most of the other
machines around here run BSD4.3, so that's where the expertise
lies.

The Questions:
1.  X Windows:  I have successfully loaded and am running X.
How do I make the system login prompt run in an X Window?

2.  DOS Merge & X:  Is there any way to specify full screen
DOS mode from X?  I can start a DOS Merge window, or type
"dos" at a c-shell prompt and get DOS in that window.  Is the
only way to get full-screen DOS to exit X first?

3.  Remote Printing:  Is it possible to remote print to a machine
running Berkley printing (without manually ftping the file first)?

4.  Backups:  What is the best way to perform backups over the
network since "dump" isn't available?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!

Wendy Ross
wross at caen.engin.umich.edu
<insert amusing quip here>