inetd weirdness

John Garnett garnett at rpp386.cactus.org
Mon Oct 23 18:09:20 AEST 1989

In article <395 at itcatl.UUCP> robin at itcatl.UUCP (Robin Cutshaw) writes:
>I'm having a weird problem with inetd on AIX 1.1 for the PS/2.  I can
>make tcp connections out to anyone on my backbone with no problems.  I
>can also receive incoming calls such as ping and X-windows stuff with
>no problems.  However, when connections go through inetd they connect
>with no problems but then hang.  This effects everything in inetd.conf
>including telnet, rlogin, etc.
>
>Anyone seen this?  IBM says "see your SE" or re-install the OS.  They
>say it's not a defect so sorry charlie.  The guy I talked with said
>he didn't know much about "TPC", I guess not.
>
>Thanks.
>robin

Do the "hang" problems only occur when you try to telnet from an AIX PS/2
to an AIX/RT?  If so, then you are experiencing a known problem that
is described in the AIX PS/2 memo to users (stored in the root directory
after updates have been applied).  I believe the memo to users is also
provided in printed form.

The solution to the problem is to use "tn -e none hostname" and then
set the TERM envariable to hft once having logged into the remote system.
An alternate solution is to copy the AIX PS/2 /usr/lib/terminfo/ibm.ti
file over to the AIX/RT system and use the tic command to recompile it.

If this isn't the problem you are witnessing, please post a more complete
description of the problem.  Are you receiving any error messages when
you use the commands that hang?  Which commands used under what
circumstances (from which system to which system?) hang?
Do any error messages appear during the boot process (IPL)?

Finally, you should try applying the AIX PS/2 Base Opsys update diskettes
if you haven't done so.  I believe that updates specific to AIX PS/2
TCP/IP are also available.