inetd weirdness

Robin Cutshaw robin at itcatl.UUCP
Tue Oct 24 10:53:11 AEST 1989

In article <395 at itcatl.UUCP>, robin at itcatl.UUCP (Robin Cutshaw) (I) write(s):
> I'm having a weird problem with inetd on AIX 1.1 for the PS/2.  I can
> make tcp connections out to anyone on my backbone with no problems.  I
> can also receive incoming calls such as ping and X-windows stuff with
> no problems.  However, when connections go through inetd they connect
> with no problems but then hang.  This effects everything in inetd.conf
> including telnet, rlogin, etc.

After tinkering around a bit, I've found the problem!  It seems that if
your last line in /etc/inetd.conf includes a command that has multiple
arguments, inetd will go into an infinite loop reading EOF.  I had
uncommented the last line in inetd.conf that included rpc and that's
when it broke.  All I had to do was enter a # on the next line and it
worked fine.

The fix: (after tinkering on a source machine)

	there is a call to ungetc (only one) in inetd.c.
	place the line "if (c != (char )EOF)" before this line
	and it will work just fine.  Sloppy problem of ungetc'ing EOF.

IBM, are you listening???

robin