adb on ps/2

Dick Dunn rcd at ico.ISC.COM
Tue Sep 26 16:13:42 AEST 1989

In article <20206 at gryphon.COM>, oleg at gryphon.COM (Oleg Kiselev) writes:
> >Finally, adb is not part of the product, dbx is the supported debugger.
>
> In Gen2 as well?!?!
>
> A stroke of executive genius, to be sure...

Well, Oleg, AIX is in good company here, as many other UNIX ports have
decided that adb wasn't important.  I wish we (in the broad sense of the
community of people who work on UNIX ports) would learn that adb is a
useful tool; that it does things the other debuggers do poorly if at all
(like patching arbitrary files conveniently); that we need it, and if we
need other debuggers, they are needed <<in addition to>> adb, not
<<instead of>> adb.

Sigh...I've been through this before, when a barely-working sdb was trying
to replace adb.  Before sdb got repaired, a completely-non-functional dbx
took its place.  This was years ago and light-years away, but it's the same
story.
--
+---------+     Dick Dunn    rcd at ico.isc.com    ico!rcd      (303)449-2870
| In this |        4th annual MadHatterDay [10/6/89]:
|  style  |        A Kinder, Gentler Fool's Day