AIX on IBM370 machines

Dave Lowrey dwl10 at uts.amdahl.com
Tue Sep 26 04:06:53 AEST 1989

In article <f4Rk02dr59I001 at amdahl.uts.amdahl.com> terry at amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Lewis T. Flynn) writes:
>In article <6371 at turnkey.gryphon.COM> jackv at turnkey.gryphon.COM writes:
>>To Mike and Terry from Amdahl, since I have never used UTS, I am
>>curious. You say it supports 3270 access, how does it handle their
>>block-mode nature with regard to vi and the like? I have seen MTS
>>at U of M and I don't think it has this problem since it is set up
>>for such terminals, rather than running software designed in the
>>async world (again, I could be wrong here since I only had a brief
>>glance at it).
>
>UTS allows you to run vi on a 3270, but I would recommend it only
>for the masochistically inclined. 3270 users run ned, an editor
>designed for 3270 use. It resembles xedit and ISPF/PDF but mostly
>because all three were constrained by the 3270. I use both ned and
>vi for my editing and find that for some kinds of tasks, I prefer
>one and for different tasks I prefer the other. Both are usable.
>
>Terry
>
>I'm still speaking as a user.

Just a reminder.... UTS also supports full duplex ASCII terminals. This
can be done in several ways, including Ethernet, and our UTS/F full
duplex software and a 4705 FEP.

The full duplex mode supports vi, emacs, curses, terminfo, etc. It also
will emulate a 3270, so that applications that need 3270s can be
accessed from full duplex terminals.
--
"What is another word  |  Dave Lowrey    | [The opinions expressed MAY be
 for 'Thesaurus'?"     |  Amdahl Corp.   | those of the author and are not
                       |  Houston, Texas | necessarily those of his
   Steven Wright       |  amdahl!dwl10   | employer]   (`nuff said!)