AIX on IBM370 machines

Lewis T. Flynn terry at uts.amdahl.com
Mon Sep 25 08:37:43 AEST 1989

In article <6371 at turnkey.gryphon.COM> jackv at turnkey.gryphon.COM writes:
>To Mike and Terry from Amdahl, since I have never used UTS, I am
>curious. You say it supports 3270 access, how does it handle their
>block-mode nature with regard to vi and the like? I have seen MTS
>at U of M and I don't think it has this problem since it is set up
>for such terminals, rather than running software designed in the
>async world (again, I could be wrong here since I only had a brief
>glance at it).

UTS allows you to run vi on a 3270, but I would recommend it only
for the masochistically inclined. 3270 users run ned, an editor
designed for 3270 use. It resembles xedit and ISPF/PDF but mostly
because all three were constrained by the 3270. I use both ned and
vi for my editing and find that for some kinds of tasks, I prefer
one and for different tasks I prefer the other. Both are usable.

Terry

I'm still speaking as a user.